Friday, July 27, 2007

Fox mustang 5-lug conversion and brake upgrades


Anyone that knows me knows that I've owned at least one Mustang at any given time since I was 15 years old. I lurk around on numerous mustang-related message boards and a series of related questions comes up time and time again...

How to I convert my 4-lug fox to 5-lug?

How to add rear disk brakes to my fox?

How do I upgrade my fox to 13" cobra brakes?

Probably the most straightforward way to accomplish all of the above is to buy Ford's complete M2300K kit. It is entirely complete, so you don't have to chase down any odds-n-ends or do any guesswork on your combination. However, these kits are getting pretty scarce, and the price has gone up 50% in the last 5 years!

Here's a really nice photo gallery of an M2300K install on an 86 (complete with ABS!)

Baer Brakes is also making a complete 4-wheel upgrade package that's been dubbed the "M2300K Killer" (Baer part #1263005.) Here's a great writeup on that package from MustangUpgrades.net. However, it too retails for North of $2400.

A lot of you guys are probably like me, and like to do it yourself to save a little money, or just upgrade a few parts at a time as time and money allow. If you are, here is the most authoritative site on Mustang brakes and parts interchange I've seen. It goes into great depth about which parts you'll need to adapt just about any year Ford brakes to your mustang! He also manufactures and sells 3-port to 2-port master cylinder adapter kits that allow you to run the four wheel disk brake M/C setup with your stock prop valve and brake lines, as well as stocks the hard-to-find adapter fittings you'll need to run the various brakes with your stock fox lines.

If you're just looking for a 5-lug conversion, but want to do it as inexpensively as possible, it's recently become much easier! You could piece everything you needed together out of a junkyard and parts house, but now e-tailers like Latemodel Restoration Supply will sell you everything you need in a kit. It still costs a bit more ($400), but again, it will be complete and take out any guesswork.

No comments: