Monday, August 13, 2007

SBFTech.com

Hey gang, sorry for the week off, I got shipped to Oklahoma for work unexpectedly.

Here's a site I love to lurk on when I get the chance: http://sbftech.com/. There are a bunch of no-nonsense blue oval freaks on there that really know their stuff! Want to know if a 5.4" rod is better for your 347" stroker than a 5.315" rod? This is the site for you!

When I was blueprinting the bottom end of the 347 for my 79 Pace car, I had some very specific questions, and there were guys there that knew the answers right away.

Jay Allen from Camshaft Innovations is their resident cam expert and will custom grind you a cam based on the entire combination of your car and what you expect to get out of it, not just look at one or two aspects of your motor and give you a generic cam. I didn't realize it until I'd been lurking on the board for a while, but Jay is the guy that designed a cam for me a few years ago. I had never spoken with him directly, but he and Kelly Cansler (my cylinder head guy) spend a lot of time talking on the phone with one another discussing camshafts and head flow and port design and all that good stuff. At the time, I had a Honda S2000, and I wanted to build a 5-liter Ford derivative that would have the similar rev characteristics and horsepower per liter! (Roughly 125hp/liter or well over 600hp in a naturally aspirated 5.0 that would rev to 8500rpms!) To me, that sounded like a tall order, but Jay didn't bat an eye and a few weeks later we had the part in-hand that would do it. (With the right supporting cast, of course.)

Unfortunately, the car that engine was slated for came back to me from the body shop in a bunch of boxes. The outfit that was painting it for me fell on some hard times and got evicted from their shop. Many small parts were lost in their move, and the box containing every nut and bolt needed to reassemble the car got rained in and all of the hardware was completely ruined! So anyway, that turned it into a little more of a project than I had time to tackle, so it got put on indefinite hold. :-/ Once my kiddos get a little older, I'll pick it up again. It'll be a fun jigsaw puzzle to solve, and you still don't see too many 600+ hp naturally aspirated 5-liter cars, so it'll still be cool (to me anyway!) :D

No comments: